Sunday, April 10, 2016

Skull Island Spot and what the future of the American Godzilla may look like

     I will admit I did not even know that Legendary was to release a spot or trailer or anything regarding Skull island until recently. As such, I did not know what to expect. I am both happy and sad that we got a TV spot as oppose to a trailer. With the Movie about 1 year away, it does make sense that we would get an early behind the scenes look. We get to see the actors in costume, a feel for the era and a look at locations. It only makes me sad because I am reminded of the trailer for Godzilla that was presented at comic-con. How cool would it be if they hyped this movie, similarly to how they hyped Godzilla, but I digress
     We get to see Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson the most and honestly all I can say is they look the part. There cant be any flashy character designs like in the marvel comics since Legendary's Godzilla series is clearly going in a slightly darker and more serious direction. I am confident that the two of them will do well. They both have done good work and it will be interesting to see Tom Hiddleston in a such a grounded role.
     The thing in the spot that caught my attention the most was the setting. The island looks great but the established setting is the Vietnam war era, even part of it taking place around Vietnam and the surrounding islands. Above all else this leaves me wary. anybody who is a fan of monsters knows what happened when somebody tried to re-imagine King Kong in a different time. Let's just say the 70's were no the best years for the big ape. The most successful incarnations of King Kong always reference or recreate the original story and for good reason.
     I would like to believe that if any company can do this series justice, it is Legendary right now. They did so good with Godzilla and I would imagine that producers would take just as much care when approaching America's most iconic monster. Re-imaginings can work if done right and I am more than willing to give them a chance with these new ideas.
     So what does this mean for the big G? All I can say for certain is I'm pretty sure that whatever has been waking up MUTO's and keeping Godzilla active must be playing a part in how big King Kong will be in the movie. Prehistoric monsters are going to be on the island so as far as we know...these creatures could be from the same era as Godzilla? In fact, what if Kong is not as friendly as he was before and is instead playing the menace in the upcoming film?
     I believe Godzilla 2 will have the final answer to what the stakes of that fight are going to be. by the end of Godzilla, the united states viewed Godzilla as a savior. If that mindset remains, what if they do a complete role-reversal to Toho's King Kong versus Godzilla? instead of King Kong being lead to the mainland to fight an ominous threat, it is Godzilla who seeks out Kong for disturbing the natural order and running amok? Just a thought I had, but it makes me excited
    All in all, I am happy yet wary about what I saw. I would like to see more of the movie before I say if this new setting is a good idea or no. Aside from that, I am excited. I'm excited to see what the monsters look like, excited to see what Kong looks like and excited to see how this connects into a greater universe. I cannot wait for the next big piece of news about this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment