Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Power Rangers Casting: Yay or Nay?

    Recently some interesting news came out. Bryan Cranston has been cast as Zordon in the upcoming Power Rangers film reboot. This prompted two things from me. First, it prompted an excited response. I was, and still am, very happy to see such a good actor in that role. Secondly, it prompted me to look through the cast list one more time out of excitement. While I am still cautiously optimistic about the film, I feel I must point out some really good casting choices as well as strange character additions for the movie
    First and foremost, Bryan Cranston as Zordon. As hard as it is to believe, not everybody can play the role of a giant head in a tube. You need somebody that can bring the right presence. You need an actor that can present himself as intimidating and powerful with the appearance of his head alone, yet inspiring and kind when he talks. Anybody who has watched Breaking Bad knows Bryan Cranston can look insanely intimidating without doing much. The man has that certain air about him, while at the same time everyone wants to talk to him because of how much of a cool guy he seems to be. I remember the huge backlash towards the 2014 Godzilla film regarding how little screen-time Cranston actually got vs. what we wanted to see. He has played father figures so many times that he's almost perfected it. That is what Zordon is to the rangers. He is an inspiring mentor and father figure for the team. I, without a doubt, believe Cranston can pull that off.   
     Secondly I noticed something that is rather fitting for this adaptation. The main 5 rangers are being played by actors that very few people have heard of. Quite frankly, that is the perfect move to make. Some would argue that they want to see the original rangers return or cast A-list actors to breath new life into this series. I simply have one thing to say about that. IT'S FUCKING POWER RANGERS. It doesn't need "new life" so much as it needs to reevaluate what its life in media is, which is what they are doing with the movie. Not to mention, part of the charm of Power Rangers is the fact that we fell in love with characters we have never seen before. We grew to admire people we never heard of and watch them grow into even greater characters.
    For the people who really want to see their favorite actor in a power ranger's suit, just search the internet. Something is bound to show up. I do not want to go into this movie thinking "Oh I know that Actor, he can play a good ranger". I want to go in ready to learn why these people will make good rangers. This leads into another aspect of the casting that has me curious. It seems that the families of the rangers have been cast, to a degree, and that leads me to believe we are going to know more about the rangers personal lives and how being power rangers affects their family.
    This decision isn't one I hate. much like the movie as a whole, I'm eager to see where it goes, but I'm keeping my distance somewhat in case I get disappointed. I believe the correct way to handle the family is by keeping them as side characters and not devote too much time to them. Their purpose should primarily be to help develop, and help the viewers to understand, the five rangers. I'm sure the filmmakers understand that, but I am just nervous about the whole thing. you know what I would like to see though? Robert Axelrod doing voice work or making a cameo. same goes for the original rangers.



P.S. I LOVE the new poster


No comments:

Post a Comment